28th SGIFF: In Conversation | The White Girl
In Jenny Suen’s The White Girl, Hong Kong’s reimagined future is painted as a city on its last legs of authenticity before commercialization and gentrification take over. Essentially a love paean to their hometown, the film is a search for identity and space at the moment of its disappearance, drawn from their own personal feelings. Starring ingénue Angela Yuen as The White Girl and Japanese award-winning actor Joe Odagiri, we find out more about film’s conceptualization, the birth of the characters and how the film relates to Hong Kong today.
Jenny Suen is a Hong Kong writer, producer and director. She studied at the University of Pennsylvania where she graduated summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, and was named Dean's Scholar. The White Girl, her first feature film, premiered at the London Film Festival 2017.
Christopher Doyle is a renowned award-winning cinematographer, famed for his work in numerous films including Wong Kar Wai’s In The Mood For Love (2000), Gus Van Sant’s Paranoid Park (2007) and Jim Jarmusch’s The Limits of Control (2009), amongst many others. The White Girl is his fourth feature film.
Angela Yuen is a rising star in the Hong Kong film and TV industry, dubbed the “Hipster Goddess” by her many fans. The White Girl is her first leading role in a feature film.
The White Girl will be screened as part of the Special Presentation section on 28 November, 7pm at Capitol Theatre.
Official Website: sgiff.com
- A fully refundable fee of $5 is charged for each ticket booking.
- On the event, simply present the e-ticket at the Front-of-House desk. The refund will be processed electronically via Peatix. Otherwise, the ticket will be forfeited.
- Registration closes 28th November 2017, 2pm. Any cancellations must be made before the ticket cut-off date and time.
- Should the refund be done before the credit cardcut-off date, no money will be deducted for ticket payment. In most cases, both the ticket payment and the refund appear separately on the credit card statement.
- Should the refund be done after the credit card cut-off date, Peatix will refund the amount in the next month through a negative invoice.
- Peatix accepts VISA, Master, Paypal and AMEX.
Full Offscreen Events: sgiff2017.peatix.com
Enquiries: +65 6509 4749 / firstname.lastname@example.org
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM SGT
- ArtScience Museum, Expression Gallery, Level 4
Free Seating (Refundable) SOLD OUT $5.00
- Venue Address
- 6 Bayfront Ave, Singapore 018974 Singapore